Sretenka street

Sretenka (in the 16th century, Ustretenskaya Street) is a street in the Krasnoselsky and Meshchansky districts of the Central Administrative District of Moscow. It runs from Sretensky Gate Square to Bolshaya and Malaya Sukharevskaya Squares. The numbering of houses is from the Sretensky Gates.

It serves as part of the northeastern transport beam, the beginning of which is Bolshaya Lubyanka, and the continuation beyond the Garden Ring is Prospekt Mira and Yaroslavl Highway.

The street was named in the 17th century after the Sretensky Monastery, which was located on this street (now this part of Sretenka is called Bolshaya Lubyanka).

Sretenka was formed from Moscow to the Trinity-Sergius Monastery and was called the Great Vladimirskaya Road. In 1395 it was renamed Sretenka. Every day Orthodox Christians passed along the street, making a pilgrimage. Orthodox tradition demanded to go all the way (75 km) on foot.

Sretenka was the main street in Moscow until the 18th century when it was replaced by Tverskaya Street, which became part of the road to St. Petersburg.

Since the 18th century, the Sretenka area with adjacent lanes has been formed mainly as a trade, craft, and merchant area. During the entire 18th century, it was the only Moscow region that retained the same population composition. Because of this, the nature of the area’s planning, built mainly with small courtyards with wooden buildings, has been preserved.

Notable buildings

On the odd side

No. 1/4, p. 1A – Profitable house (based on a hotel) (1797; 1816, architect V.P. Stasov; 1892-1898, architect P.A. Ushakov).

No. 1/4, p. 1B – Profitable house (1834; 1874; 1892-1898, architect P. A. Ushakov).

No. 3/27 – Church of the Assumption of the Virgin in Pechatniki (1695) with a bell tower built in 1902. The refectory was built in 1899 by the architect M. A. Aladin; the fence – in 1905, was designed by architect P. T. Shagin. An object of cultural heritage of federal significance.

No. 9 – At the beginning of the 20th century, the “Big Moscow” furnished rooms were in the house.

No. 11, p. 1 – Residential house of the merchants Sushenkovs with shops (1817, 19th century).

No. 13 – On the site of a wasteland between Bolshoy Sergievsky and Pushkarev lanes, there was an 18th-century house, which became the commune house of Narkomfin workers after the revolution.

No. 17 / 27a / 28 – City merchant’s estate (Kiryakovs) (late 18th – 1st half of the 19th century), an object of cultural heritage of regional significance.

No. 25/23, building 1, 2 – City estate with a residential outbuilding.

No. 27/29, p. 3 – Church of the Life-Giving Trinity in Listy, built in 1650-1661 and currently completing the left side of the street. An object of cultural heritage of federal significance.

On the even side

No. 4/1 – Profitable house (1875, architect A. I. Gnezdarev). The house was famous for its cinema which opened in 1913.

No. 6/2 – Office Building (1911, architect W. V. Sherwood). Since 2001, the building has housed the Museum of the History of Moscow Police. The museum is closed for free visits and works on preliminary collective requests.

No. 8 – The six-story building was built in 1917. After the October Revolution, the house housed the Glavpolitprosvet, which N. K. Krupskaya led.

No. 10 – Profitable house (built in 1902 according to the project of architect K. A. Mikhailov).

No. 12 is a five-story building designed in 1860.

No. 24/2, building 1 (part along Sretenka) – Residential building with a shop (XIX – early XX century).

No. 24/2, building 1 (part along the lane) – Profitable House (1875, architect A. I. Gnezdarev).

No. 26/1 – House of the St. Petersburg Insurance Society with the Odeon Cinema (1912-1914, civil engineer A. G. Izmirov, jointly by Viktor and Alexander Vesnin).


Nearest metro: Turgenevskaya, Sretensky Boulevard – 300 m from the beginning of the street. Sukharevskaya metro station – at the end of the street.

See more streets and squares in Moscowmonuments of Moscowarchitecture of Moscow.

Read more: Tourism in Russia ...