Schneider & Co (Le Creusot) steam locomotive from 1864. Renfe series 030-0204.
Schneider et Cie, also known as Schneider-Creusot for its birthplace in the French town of Le Creusot, was a historic French iron and steel-mill company which became a major arms manufacturer. In the 1960s, it was taken over by the Belgian Empain group and merged with it in 1969 to form Empain-Schneider, which in 1980 was renamed Schneider SA and in 1999, after much restructuring, Schneider Electric.
In 1836, Adolphe Schneider and his brother Eugène Schneider bought iron-ore mines and forges around Le Creusot (Saône-et-Loire). They developed a business dealing in steel, railways, armaments, and shipbuilding.
The Creusot steam hammer was built in 1877.
Somua, a subsidiary located near Paris, made machinery and vehicles, including the SOMUA S35 tank.