Santa María de Gualter (Monasterio de Santa María de Gualter) is a monastery of medieval Catalan art and is located at the entrance to the town of Gualter, capital of the municipality of La Baronia de Rialb (la Noguera) in Catalonia, Spain, province of Lleida. It currently has no monastic life.
The first attempts to build the monastery began in 1118, when a brotherhood of clerics and laymen was created to build the monastery, which was ready in 1207. The counts of Urgell, especially Ermengol VIII, continued to favor the monastery. However, it was never more than a small priory, with only one prior, four monks and some beneficiary priests.
Monastic life declined greatly in the fifteenth century and Pope Clement VIII abolished it completely in 1593. From then on it was a simple parish church.
The place, which for a long time was in ruins, has been rehabilitated, and although it was deeply affected after an explosion during the civil war, the greatness and beauty of the great church, can still be appreciated.
Address: Carrer del Monestir, 1, 25747 Gualter, Lleida
How to get to?
From Lleida 54 min (66.3 km) via C-12 and C-26
From Barcelona 1 hr 33 min (132 km) via A-2
From Madrid 5 hr 7 min (532 km) via A-2