Since 2017 the city has been a part of the network “The most beautiful villages of Spain“.
Built in the 15th century when the town was transformed into a manor of the Velasco family. Due to its good state of conservation, it is one of the most beautiful fortresses in La Rioja.
It is currently a private property.
It is built in masonry stone. Its configuration is similar to the Castillo de Cuzcurrita de Río Tirón, with a rectangular outer enclosure, round cubes in the corners and flanking the access door.
In the center of the redoubt stands the homage tower, also rectangular, with octagonal towers at its corners, crowned with machicolations and battlements.
Remains of the wall and Puerta del Arco
The layout of the wall, trapezoidal in shape, dates from the second half of the 13th century, from the time of Alfonso X el Sabio, and can only be recognized at the back of the houses.
Of the four doors that it had, the one called the Arch is preserved, located between the church and the old Town Hall, Gothic from the 14th or 15th centuries.
Church of Santa Maria of the Assumption
Well of cultural interest dating from the 12th century, built in masonry stone; sum of constructions from various eras. Inside it houses an image of the Virgin of Antigua.
It has a Renaissance altarpiece.
Hermitage of Santa María de Cillas
It is located a kilometer and a half from the town in the direction of Castilseco. Herrerian Romanesque building, with ashlar masonry from the 13th century.
It was reformed between the 16th and 18th centuries, as well as in 1945.
It has a neoclassical altarpiece, designed by Leonardo Gurrea around 1804, and a baroque pulpit and lectern.
How to get to?
From Logroño 38 min (55.6 km) via AP-68
From Madrid 3 hr 21 min (327 km) via A-1
Area: 13 km² (municipality)
Coordinates: 42°35′18″N 2°57′41″W
Time: Central European UTC +1