Saint-Félix-Lauragais (in Occitan Sant Felitz de Lauragués) is a commune located in the northeast of the Haute-Garonne department in the Occitania region (France).

Historically and culturally, the commune is in Lauragais, the former “Land of Plenty,” linked both to the cultivation of pastel and the abundance of production, and to the “breadbasket of Languedoc.”

Exposed to an altered oceanic climate, it is drained by the Laudot, a channel of the Canal Midi, the Grasse, the Rigole de la Plaine, the Vendinelle, the Olivet, the Soupex, the Marès and various other small streams. The town has a remarkable natural heritage made up of six natural areas of ecological, fauna and flora interest.

Saint-Félix-Lauragais is a rural commune that has 1,258 inhabitants as of 2021, after having experienced a population peak of 3,020 inhabitants in 1800. It is part of the Toulouse catchment area. Its inhabitants are called Saint-Féliciens or Saint-Féliciiennes.

Main attractions

  • Saint-Félix Collegiate Church of Saint-Félix-Lauragais: Church classified as a historic monument in 1920. It dates from the 14th and 15th centuries and has organs by Grégoire Rabiny, dating from 1782.
  • Notre-Dame-de-l’Assomption Church in Cadenac.
  • Notre-Dame-de-l’Assomption Church in La Jalabertie.

  • Saint-Germier Church of La Pastourie.
  • Saint-Roch chapel in Saint-Félix-Lauragais dating from the 17th century.
  • Church of Saint-Pierre de Graissens.

  • Halle de Saint-Félix-Lauragais: 15th century hall, classified as a historic monument in 1926, as well as the tower adjoining its south-eastern side. This tower, which dates from 1557, gave access to the common room located above the hall. It has since been destroyed. In 1863 a statue of the virgin was placed at the summit.
  • The 18th century wrought iron cross on the Place de la Halle: classified as a historic monument in 1927.

  • Birthplace of Déodat de Séverac: classified as a historic monument in 1990.
  • Cailhavel old bridge: classified as a historic monument in 1998.
  • Presbytery of Saint-Félix-Lauragais: classified as a historic monument in 1927.
  • The house called “next to the presbytery” dating from the 15th century: classified as a historic monument in 1927.

  • Château de Saint-Félix-Lauragais: castle classified as a historic monument in 1994. It was the residence of Pierre d’Euze, brother of Pope John XXII.
  • Ramparts of Saint-Félix-Lauragais: classified as historic monuments in 1927.
  • Cemetery of British soldiers who did not survive their wounds following the Battle of Toulouse (1814). A stele between two cypresses.

How to get to?

From Paris: 8 hr 55 min (741 km) via A20

From Toulouse: 50 min (42.1 km) via M18

From Andorra: 2 hr 38 min (181 km) via N20

From Barcelona: 3 hr 47 min (365 km) via AP-7

From Madrid: 8 hr 12 min (843 km) via A-1 and A64

From Monaco: 5 hr 23 min (554 km) via A8

From Moscow: 35 hr (3,480 km) via E30/M1

From Belgrade: 17 hr 48 min (1,858 km) via E70

From Istanbul: 28 hr (2,807 km) via E70

From Bern: 7 hr 37 min (813 km) via A9

Main information

Area:  52 km2

Population: 1258

Coordinates: 43°26′59″N 1°53′18″E

Language: French

Currency: Euro

Visa: Schengen

Time: Central European UTC +1

See here Pyrenees travel guide

See here France travel guide

See here Spain travel guide

Read more: The cities of the Pyrenees and around with Andrew Morato ...