The Royal Palace of El Pardo is a historic building in the community of Madrid, Spain, in the present-day district of Fuencarral-El Pardo. It is owned by the Spanish state and administered by the Patrimonio Nacional agency. It serves as the state guest house of the Spanish Government.
The palace began as a royal hunting lodge. It became an alternative residence of the kings of Spain until the reign of King Alfonso XII of Spain, who died in the palace in 1885.
King Enrique III of Castile ordered the building of the pavilion in 1406, on Mount El Pardo, because of its abundant game. Later, in the time of Emperor Charles V (1547), it was transformed into a palace by the architect Luis de Vega. On 13 March 1604, a massive fire destroyed many of the paintings, including masterpieces by Titian. King Carlos III of Spain renovated the building in the 18th century, appointing his architect Francesco Sabatini to undertake the job.
In addition to its architectural values, the palace stands out for its interior decoration, representative of different periods and styles. The frescoes stand out, which range from the late Renaissance of Felipe II to the neoclassicism of Fernando VII through the late Baroque period of Carlos III. Likewise, its collection of tapestries from the 18th century is especially relevant, which includes five of Francisco de Goya’s best-known series.
Both the palace and its small garden were declared an Asset of Cultural Interest in 1931 and 1934, respectively.
In 1739 the palace hosted talks between the governments of Britain and Spain, who eventually agreed to the Convention of Pardo in a bid to avert a war. However, the Convention failed to prevent war breaking out shortly afterwards.
Dictator Francisco Franco lived in the palace after the Spanish Civil War.
How to get to?
Address: Palacio del Pardo, C. Manuel Alonso, s/n, 28048 Madrid, Spain
From Madrid 24 min (15.1 km) via M-605
GPS coordinates: 40°31′17″N 3°46′30″W
Basic Admission 9 €
Reduced Admission 4 €
Free Admission 0 €