Rolls-Royce Phantom 2. Wedding car in Andorra
The Rolls-Royce Phantom II was the third and last of Rolls-Royce’s 40/50 hp models, replacing the New Phantom in 1929. It used an improved version of the New Phantom engine in an all-new chassis. A “Continental” version, with a short wheelbase and stiffer springs, was offered.
The Phantom II used a refinement of the New Phantom’s 7.7 L (7,668 cc or 467.9 cu in) pushrod-OHV straight-6 engine with a new crossflow cylinder head. Unlike on previous 40/50 hp models, the engine was bolted directly to the 4-speed manual transmission.
Synchromesh was added on gears 3 and 4 in 1932 and on gear 2 in 1935.
Power was transmitted to the rear wheels using an open driveshaft, a hypoid bevel final drive, and Hotchkiss drive, replacing the torque tube from a remotely mounted gearbox used on earlier 40/50 hp models.