Red Ferrari Biplace Sport Type 250 MM from 1952, 12 cylinders, 2963 cc, 240 HP, 250 km/h. In 1956 it was rebodied by Scaglietti.
The Ferrari 250 MM was a sports racing car produced by Ferrari in 1952. After the initial racing successes of the 3.0-litre Colombo V12 engine, introduced in the 250 S one-off, Ferrari produced a serial racing model. It is best recognisable for the distinctive closed berlinetta bodywork by Pininfarina. The “MM” in its name stood for the Mille Miglia race.
The Ferrari 250 MM was used extensively in racing. Scoring many victories in Europe. The 250 MM was also successful in the United States with Phil Hill and in South America as well.
The 250 MM had its first outing at the 1953 Giro di Sicilia. Three cars were entered, but non of them finished the race. Paolo Marzotto had led the race until Enna, but then broke down. The first victory came from the North American race track. At the Pebble Beach round of the SCCA National Sports Car Championship. In the category for Sports over 1500 cc, Phil Hill drove his spyder to the first place.
At the Mille Miglia race, the same year, the race the car was destined for, a total of eight cars were entered. Only one managed to finish at all. Giulio Cabianca and Gianfranco Roghi drove their spyder s/n 0282MM, to the ninth place overall and eighth in-class. Paolo Marzotto and Marino Marini held a third place before their Berlinetta burst into flames a few kilometers before the finish.