Proyekt 23550 Ivan Papanin
Assembly: Адмиралтейские верфи (Saint Petersburg, Russia)
Production year: 2022-2023
Power: 8600 HP
Max speed: 18 knots
Range: 10,000 km
Aviation group: 1 × helicopter Ka-27
The JSC Admiralty Shipyards is one of the oldest and largest shipyards in Russia, located in Saint Petersburg. The shipyard’s building ways can accommodate ships of up to 70,000 tonnes deadweight (DWT), 250 metres (820 ft) in length and 35 metres (115 ft) in width. Military products include naval warships such as nuclear and diesel-powered submarines and large auxiliaries.
The shipyard was founded as the Galley Yard by Peter the Great during the Great Northern War on 5 November 1704 and located in the open ground along the Neva River behind the Admiralty building. It was administered by the Russian Admiralty, hence its later name. In 1721 it was renamed Galley Wharf and in 1800 the New Admiralty Yard, supplementing and in 1841 soon replacing the Galley Wharf. In 1908, it was renamed the Admiralty Shipyard. In 1937 its two sections were known as Andre Marti and Sudomekh, Shipyards No. 194 and No. 196, respectively. In 1966 it once again became the New Admiralty Shipyard as in 1800 and, in 1972, the Leningrad Admiralty Association. The latest name changes occurred in 1992 – State Enterprise “Admiralty Wharves” – and in 2001 – Federal State Unitary Enterprise “Admiralty Wharves”. Finally, in 2008, it became an open stock company – OAO “Admiralty Wharves”.
From its founding through 1917 the shipyard built more than 1000 vessels and ships, including 137 large sail warships, about 700 medium and small sail and oared vessels, and more than 100 iron ships, including 25 armored warships and 8 cruisers. In 1959 it delivered the world’s first non-naval nuclear-powered vessel, the icebreaker Lenin.