Ploschad Revolyutsii (Revolution Square, until March 1917 – Voskresenskaya Square) is one of the central squares of Moscow. Located on the territory of the Tverskoy district between Manezhnaya and Teatralnaya squares.
Historically, the bed of the Neglinnaya River (now tunneled) flowed through the center of the modern square. In 1516, during the reign of Vasily III, a dam was built, and next to it was a windmill. On the northern shore, there were shops and barns with flour, which is why the row got its name – flour. In 1536-1538, on the south side of the river, a brick wall of Kitay-Gorod was built, which reached the Kremlin.
At the beginning of the 17th century, by the decree of Boris Godunov, a stone bridge on arches was built across the river. By that time, Kitay-Gorod was already a large shopping center, and because there was not enough space for shops, many merchants conducted business on the bridge and its sides, forming a trading area.
By the middle of the 17th century, various shopping arcades occupied the area. On the site of the modern building of the branch of the State Historical Museum (originally – the building of the City Duma, in the Soviet period – the Lenin Museum) there were shops of apple, melon, cucumber, berry and cabbage rows. Further from the bridge, there were chicken, food and gingerbread rows, and in the west, there were cereal shops. All commercial buildings were made of wood and were rebuilt after every big fire.
In the 1930s, Revolution Square acquired a modern look, as the Moskva Hotel was completed, the side building of which overlooked the square and completed the ensemble. In 1935, according to the design of the architect Alexey Dushkin, the construction of the metro line and the Ploshchad Revolyutsii station began. On May 15, 1936, the Lenin Museum was opened in the former Duma building.
The metro station opened in 1938, and during the Great Patriotic War, it served as a bomb shelter for Muscovites.
In 1988, the Resurrection Gate, demolished on the orders of Joseph Stalin, was restored, and in 1997, the building of the Museum of Archeology was erected on the site of the Resurrection Bridge.
The Vladimir Lenin Museum and the Museum of the Patriotic War of 1812 (Revolution Square, building No. 2/3);
Hotel “Metropol” (Teatralny proezd, house number 2);
Hotel “Moscow” (street Okhotny Ryad, house number 2);
Russian State University for the Humanities, Historical and Archival Institute (Nikolskaya street, house No. 15);
Old mint (Nikolskaya street, house number 5/1);
Museum of Archeology (Manezhnaya Square, building No. 1A).
Nearest metro: Okhotny Ryad, Ploshchad Revolyutsii, Teatralnaya.
Nearest attractions: House, Russian State Library, Vozdvizhenka Street, Red Square, Tverskaya street, Bolshoi Theatre, Maly Theatre, Manezhnaya Square, Ploschad Revolyutsii (square), State Duma building, House of the Unions, Teatralnaya Ploschad, TSUM, Monument to Alexander Ostrovsky, Tretyakovskiy proezd, Central Children’s Store, Lubyanka Building,