Place des Pyramides is a square located in the Palais-Royal district of the 1st arrondissement of Paris (France).

Crossing rue de Rivoli, it is located at the height of the Tuileries gardens, and at the end of rue des Pyramides looking on the Louvre.

The current name, given in 1932, commemorates the victorious Egyptian campaign led by General Bonaparte in 1798.

A riding academy under Antoine de Pluvinel, squire to Henry III, Henry IV and Louis XIII, was set up in this area in the 16th century. Known as “Le Pluvinel”, this was the forerunner of the classical equestrian school, and it is commemorated by a plaque above the entrance to the Hôtel Regina restaurant. Hôtel Regina is a grand hotel that opened in 1900.

The gilded bronze equestrian statue of Joan of Arc on this square was produced by Emmanuel Frémiet in 1874.

See more:

20 arrondissements of Paris

Architecture of Paris

Museums of Paris

Entertainment in Paris

Bridges in Paris

Parks in Paris

Streets and squares in Paris

Shopping in Paris

Transport in Paris

Read more: Interesting places in the Pyrenees and around with Jane Cautch ...