Peñarroya Castle (Sp. Castillo de Peñarroya) is a fortification located in the municipality of Argamasilla de Alba, Ciudad Real province, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain. It stands on a rock (“rust” red or blonde, according to opinion) from which it dominates a cliff, in a section of the Guadiana river that overlooks the dam of the Peñarroya reservoir.
According to a Castilian chronicle by Don Ramón Antequera Bellón (Analytical Trial of Don Quixote), Captain Alonso Pérez de Sanabria seized the castle from the Muslims on September 8, 1198.
In the 14th century, Peñarroya was, without a doubt, the most important commission of the Order of San Juan from an economic point of view. It was a fortress to guarantee the economic use of the territory: leasing of pastures, collection of taxes and protection of settlers, as well as storage of goods or “safe” of the Order, which was established as one of the most important in that territory of Castilla.
How to get to?
From Ciudad Real 54 min (93.5 km) via A-43
From Almagro 58 min (92.8 km) via A-43
From Valdepeñas 44 min (71.2 km) via A-4 and A-43