The house (estate, palace) of Demidov is a vivid monument of Moscow classicism, built in 1789-1791. Designed by M. F. Kazakov. Located in the east of Moscow, in the Basmanny district. Since the 19th century, the Moscow State University of Geodesy and Cartography has been located inside, the museum of which is open to the public. One of the few palaces of the Moscow aristocracy of the XVIII century, the interior decoration of which has been preserved in a relatively original form.
It is located along Gorokhovsky Lane (building 4, building 6), where the lane approaches Staraya Basmannaya Street at an oblique angle, skirting an open area belonging to the Church of St. Nikita the Martyr.
Demidov’s estate consists of the main three-story building and two small outbuildings located on its sides. The center of the main building is underlined by a six-columned Corinthian portico.
The front rooms of Demidov’s house are called “golden”, because their cornices, furniture, fireplaces, doors are decorated with skillfully executed, the finest wooden carvings, covered with a thin layer of gold leaf according to Kazakov’s own drawings.
Despite the fact that Demidov’s house was rebuilt several times both outside and inside, the architecture of the building has remained almost unchanged. Only the balustrade that completed the facade disappeared, and the arch in its center, which led from the street to the ponds and greenhouses, was turned into a vestibule. The Golden Rooms and many others from the magnificent halls (Blue, Crimson, Emerald drawing rooms) have been restored and are available for inspection.
Address: Moscow, Gorokhovsky pereulok, 4
Nearest metro: Kurskaya