The Obolensky House on Novinsky Boulevard (Garden Ring) is a historic building in Moscow built in the second half of the 18th century.
An object of cultural heritage of federal significance. Located on Novinsky Boulevard (Garden Ring), building 11a.
The exact date of construction of the house is unknown. Judging by the style, it is assumed that the house was built in the 1770s-1780s (an extension on the south side – in the 1820s-1830s).
In 1790, the house was included in the Albums of M.F. Kazakov, its owner, according to this source, was N.P. Obolensky.
The southern wing was demolished in 1902 for the construction of an apartment building, the northern wing was also not preserved. Behind the house was a vast garden that reached to the Church of the Nine Martyrs. In this house, E. P. Obolensky (grandson of N. P. Obolensky) gathered members of the Moscow Council of the Northern Society. The house was considered lost, but was identified and restored in 1983.
The house belongs to the style of early classicism. The original decor has been preserved on the side and rear facades of the house. The design of the main facade was redone after 1812, but after restorations it was redesigned to its original version, including according to the drawings in Kazakov’s Albums.
Nearest attractions: Moscow Zoo, Moscow Planetarium, Residential building on Kudrinskaya Square, Museum-apartment of Pyotr Tchaikovsky, Kudrinskaya square, Chaliapin’s museum, Monument to Brodsky, US embassy, Novy Arbat Avenue, Arbat street, Building of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Golden Ring Hotel, AZIMUT City Hotel Smolenskaya, Ukraina Hotel, COMECON building, House of the Government.