Palaces and most historic buildings of Moscow (51 objects in alphabetical order)
Batashev’s manor is a manor complex in central Moscow, located on Taganka, on Shviva Gorka, a vivid monument of Moscow classicism. It is situated at Yauzskaya Street, house 11, and various buildings on Verkhnyaya Radishchevskaya street.
Building of the Council of Labor and Defense (Gosplan building, State Duma building) is a building in Moscow at Okhotny Ryad Street, 1. It currently houses the State Duma of the Russian Federation. Identified object of cultural heritage.
COMECON, also known as the Book House, is a complex of buildings located on the bank of the Moskva river at Novy Arbat, 36 in the Arbat district of the Central Administrative District of Moscow. The complex includes 3 buildings united by a common stylobate: a 31-storey administrative skyscraper, a conference center and a 13-storey Mir Hotel.
Demidov palace is a vivid monument of Moscow classicism, built in 1789-1791. Designed by M. F. Kazakov. Located in the east of Moscow, in the Basmanny district. Since the 19th century, the Moscow State University of Geodesy and Cartography has been located inside, the museum of which is open to the public. One of the few palaces of the Moscow aristocracy of the XVIII century, the interior decoration of which has been preserved in a relatively original form.
Episcopal (Faceted) Chamber is an architectural monument in the Moscow Kremlin ensemble, one of the oldest civil buildings in Moscow. It was built in 1487-1491 by the decree of Ivan III and Italian architects Mark Fryazin and Pietro Antonio Solari designed it.
Estate of E. I. Vandyshnikova – E. M. Banza is an architectural ensemble in Moscow on Vorontsovo Pole Street. The name is given in honor of the principal owners. In the 18th century, it belonged to Elizaveta Ivanovna from the family of merchants Vandyshnikovs.
House of Architects (also House on Rostovskaya Embankment) is a residential building located in Moscow on Rostovskaya Embankment, 5. It was built by the architect Shchusev in the post-constructivist style in the 1930s. The building is part of an unrealized project of the ceremonial ensemble of Smolenskaya and Rostovskaya embankments, conceived by Shchusev. The side wings, lined with beige bricks, were completed in the early 1960s.
House of the Provincial Government is building government offices in the northeast of Red Square in Moscow. From Catherine’s time to the administrative reforms of Alexander II, the Moscow province’s six-voice Duma, and provincial institutions were located in the building.
House of the Unions (House of the Noble Assembly) – a public building on the corner of Okhotny Ryad and Bolshaya Dmitrovka in Moscow; a monument of classicism of the late 18th century. Initially – the estate of Prince Vasily Dolgorukov-Krymsky.
House of Writers in Lavrushinsky Lane is a residential building, an architectural monument, located in the city of Moscow, an object of the cultural heritage of Russia of regional significance.
House on the Embankment (official name – House of Government; also known as the First House of Soviets, the House of the Central Executive Committee and the Council of People’s Commissars of the USSR) is a residential complex in Moscow built in 1931 on the Bersenevskaya Embankment of the Moscow River.
Izmailovo Kremlin is a cultural and entertainment complex built in 1998-2007 near the historical royal estate of Izmailovo in Moscow. It is a wooden building, stylized as Russian architecture of the XVI-XVII centuries (neo-historicism).
Izvestia newspaper building is famous for its style of constructivism, located on Tverskaya Street at Pushkinskaya Square, 3 in the Tverskoy district of Moscow. From 1927 to 2011, the building housed the editorial office of the Izvestia newspaper. An object of cultural heritage of regional significance.
Krasny Oktyabr (Red October) is a Russian and Soviet confectionery factory on Bersenevskaya Embankment (between Moskva river and Vodootvodny canal) in Moscow. Built by the German firm “Einem” in the 1890s, after the October Revolution, it was nationalized and received its present name. In the 2000s, it joined the United Confectioners company. After the closure of the enterprise, the factory buildings were mainly preserved and converted into offices, retail and exhibition areas.
Kurskaya Atrium shopping center is located on the Garden Ring (Moscow), very close to the Kursk railway station, built in 2002. In 2018 11 world-famous street art painters took part in the Atrium Graffiti project.
Lubyanka Building (The building of state security bodies) is a building on Lubyanskaya Square in Moscow, which served as the main building of the state security bodies of the USSR from 1919 to 1992. As of 2022, the building is part of the complex of buildings of the Federal Security Service of the Russian Federation (Russian: ФСБ).
Lukoil building is a skyscraper on the corner of Sretensky Boulevard and Akademik Sakharov Avenue and one of the most controversial buildings in Moscow in terms of architectural design.
Mariinsky School is an educational institution of the Ladies’ Guardianship of the Poor in Moscow in the second half of the 19th – early 20th centuries. The school was founded by Olga Nikolaevna Talyzina, nee Countess Zubova (1803-1882), granddaughter of A. V. Suvorov.
Mausoleum of Vladimir Ilyich Lenin (in 1953-1961 – the Mausoleum of Vladimir Ilyich Lenin and Joseph Vissarionovich Stalin) is a monument-tomb on Red Square near the Kremlin Wall in Moscow, where since 1924, the body of Vladimir Lenin has been preserved in a transparent sarcophagus.
Morozov’s mansion (now the House of Receptions of the Government of the Russian Federation; from 1959 until the end of the 1990s – the House of Friendship with the Peoples of Foreign Countries) – a mansion in the center of Moscow, on Vozdvizhenka Street (house number 16), built in 1895-1899 by architect Viktor Mazyrin commissioned by millionaire Arseny Abramovich Morozov.
Moscow City Hall building (House of Golitsin, Chernyshev’s estate) is located in Moscow at Tverskaya Street, 13. It was built in 1782 according to the project of architect Matvey Kazakov and, until 1917, served as the residence of the Moscow governor-general.
Moscow Gas Plant (a former gas plant in the Basmanny District of the Central Administrative District of Moscow), built in 1865 to illuminate the city, a monument of industrial architecture. Currently, the premises of the plant have been converted into a business center.
Moscow Kremlin ensemble is a fortress in the center of Moscow and its oldest part, the main socio-political, historical and artistic complex of the city, the official residence of the President of the Russian Federation, until the collapse of the USSR in December 1991, it was the official residence of the General Secretary of the Central Committee of the CPSU (in 1990 -1991 – President of the USSR). One of the most famous architectural structures in the world.
Moscow Manege (Central Exhibition Hall Manege, Russian: Maнеж)) is a historic building located at Manezhnaya Square, 1, between Manezhnaya and Sapozhkova Squares, Aleksandrovsky Garden and Mokhovaya Street in Moscow. The main exhibition area of the State Budgetary Cultural Institution of the City of Moscow “Museum and Exhibition Association”Manege””.
N.A. Alekseev’s mansion is located in the center of Moscow, a ten-minute walk from Tverskaya and Pushkinskaya metro stations.
Nikolskaya Tower is a travel tower of the Moscow Kremlin overlooking Red Square. It was built in 1491-1492 by architect Pietro Antonio Solari. Until the end of the 15th century, that is, before the creation of Red Square, Nikolskaya Street began from the Nikolsky Gate.
Obolensky House on Novinsky Boulevard (Garden Ring) is a historic building in Moscow built in the second half of the 18th century. An object of cultural heritage of federal significance. Located on Novinsky Boulevard, building 11a.
Old Gostiny Dvor is the oldest Gostiny Dvor in Moscow. It occupies the Kitay-gorod quarter between Varvarka and Ilyinka streets and Khrustalny and Rybny lanes. In the 1990s, it was rebuilt as a trade and exhibition complex.
Pushkin Library (since 2014 – the A. S. Pushkin Library-Reading Room) is a city library of Moscow. It is located in the former estate of the Mukhins, built at the beginning of the 19th century.
Razumovsky-Sheremetev House (Sheremetev’s Coal House) is a classicist mansion that forms the corner of the Sheremetev Courtyard at the intersection of Vozdvizhenka and Romanov Lane in Moscow.
Russia insurance company – two buildings of tenement houses built in Moscow in 1899-1902 for the insurance company “Russia” according to the project of architect N. M. Proskurnin.
Russian State Library building is the national library of the Russian Federation, the largest public library in Russia and continental Europe and one of the largest libraries in the world, located in Moscow; a leading research institution in the field of library science, bibliography and book science, a methodological and advisory centre for Russian libraries of all systems (except for special and scientific and technical ones), a centre for recommendatory bibliography.
Senate Tower is one of the oldest towers in the Moscow Kremlin. It is located on the eastern wall between the Spasskaya and Nikolskaya towers and overlooks Red Square, Moscow. It was built in 1491 by the Italian architect Pietro Antonio Solari by the order of Ivan III.
Sheremetev Hospital is located on Bolshaya Sukharevskaya Square in Moscow, based on which the Sklifosovsky Institute of Emergency Care was organized in 1923.
Spasskaya Tower (Frolovskaya, Florovskaya, Frololavrskaya, Jerusalem Gates) is a travel tower of the Moscow Kremlin overlooking Red Square in Moscow. It was built in 1491 by the architect Pietro Solari.
Stakheev mansion (palace, house) is a city estate in Moscow at 14 Novaya Basmannaya Street, building 1. An object of cultural heritage of the peoples of Russia of federal significance. Currently, the building houses the Central House of Children of Railway Workers.
Stalin skyscrapers – seven (according to the plans eight) high-rise buildings erected in Moscow in 1947-1957. Sometimes “Stalin skyscrapers” are also called buildings designed in a similar style around the same period in some other cities in the USSR and other countries.
Sytin office building is an architectural monument located on Tverskaya Street in Moscow. The building was erected in 1904 according to the architect A. E. Erichson’s project, and the engineer V. G. Shukhov developed the floor structures.
TASS building is a Russian state federal news agency, a former Soviet news agency.
Telegraph Building is a Soviet Art Deco building located on Tverskaya Street in the Central Administrative District of Moscow. It was built in 1925-1927, according to the project of architect Ivan Rerberg.
Third Building of the Ministry of Defense is an administrative building in Moscow located on Frunzenskaya Embankment of Moscow river. Now it is the main building of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation.
Tsentrosoyuz Building (also known as the Building of the People’s Commissariat for Light Industry, the Building of the CSU) is an office building on Myasnitskaya Street. It was built in 1928-1936 in the international style according to the project of the French architect Le Corbusier
US embassy building is the diplomatic mission of the United States of America in the Russian Federation – Russia, located in Moscow on Novinsky Boulevard (Garden Ring).
Widow’s House is a state charitable institution, opened in Moscow (near the Garden Ring) in 1803. The building of the Widow’s House was designed in 1775 by the architect Ivan Gilardi. The widow’s house was opened in 1803 to house widows whose husbands had served in the military or civil service for at least 10 years. It was here that the first sisters of mercy appeared in Moscow.
Zholtovsky House on Mokhovaya street is a building in the center of Moscow. The house was built in 1934 according to the project of the architect Ivan Zholtovsky for the employees of the Moscow City Council.