NORD N-262 Fregate.
The Aérospatiale N 262 is a French twin-turboprop high-wing airliner built first by Nord Aviation (merged into Aérospatiale in 1970). The aircraft was also known as the Nord 262.
In 1957, the French aircraft manufacturer Max Holste began work on a twin-engined utility transport aircraft to replace the Douglas DC-3/C-47 Skytrain. The prototype, the Max Holste MH.250 Super Broussard, was powered by two Pratt & Whitney Wasp radial engines and first flew on 20 May 1959.
A second prototype, the MH.260, powered by Turbomeca Bastan turboprop engines flew on 29 July 1960. In 1959, state-owned Nord Aviation (later merged with Sud Aviation and renamed Aérospatiale) signed an agreement with Max Holste to market and help produce the MH.260. Financial problems at Max Holste, however, led to Nord taking on the whole programme, which included further development of the aircraft, while Max Holste concentrated on the production of light aircraft, and was renamed Reims Aviation.
While nine MH.260s were built, the type found no commercial buyers, and Nord redesigned the aircraft to have a pressurized cabin and to meet US airworthiness requirements. The new airliner, the Nord 262, was like the MH.260, a high-winged high-wing cantilever monoplane of all-metal construction, powered by two Turbomeca Bastan, and fitted with a retractable tricycle undercarriage, with the main wheels retracting into fuselage-mounted fairings. Pressurization brought a new circular-section fuselage, which normally was fitted with seats for 26 passengers, with a maximum capacity of 29 passengers.
The first prototype took to the skies for the first time on 24 December 1962 and the aircraft was exhibited at the June 1963 Paris Air Show. The aircraft received its French airworthiness certificate on 16 July 1964 and entered initial commercial service with Air Inter of France in September that year.
Four of the first aircraft 262A, 262B, 262C, and 262D were built, the first two fitted with Bastan IVC engines, while the C and D models were fitted with the higher-powered Bastan VIIC. Of these four aircraft, the latter two saw their first air time in July 1968. Most sales of the initial aircraft were not in the passenger field, but rather the military field. The 262D was the most popular and marketed as Frégate.
As for the American designation, the “Mohawk 298” airplanes were modified Nord 262s and first flew on 7 January 1975, equipped with Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-45 turboprops. Built in order to meet United States FAR 298 regulation, the modification of the aircraft was overseen by Mohawk Air Services and outsourced to Frakes Aviation. Allegheny Airlines was the initial operator of the aircraft.
Joel Krane, the chairman of the FOEB (Flight Operations Evaluation Board) determined that a common type rating could be issued for the Nord 262 and Mohawk 298. Appropriate differences training would be required for transitioning pilots.
First flight in 1962.
Motor: 2 turbopropulser Turbomeca Bastan VI
Power: 2 x 1080 HP
Max. speed: 396 km/h
Made: 110 units
Hangar exhibition model
Street exhibition model