The Museum of Handicrafts (Commercial and Industrial Museum of Handicrafts of the Moscow Provincial Zemstvo) was founded in 1885 in Moscow. It existed under various names at Leontievsky Lane, 7 (Stanislavsky Street) until 1999, when, by order of the Government of the Russian Federation, it became part of the All-Russian Museum of Decorative, Applied and Folk Art.
Especially for the Museum, a house in the Russian-Byzantine style was built at the expense of Sergei Timofeevich Morozov. The architect of the building was S. U. Solovyov.
The heyday of the Museum’s activity fell in the first decade of the 20th century. At that time, in addition to the exposition of the Museum of Crafts, it included a carpentry workshop, a trade department, and a museum of samples, which opened in 1907 for craftsmen.
The first nesting doll (Matryoshka) in Russia was made in this Museum. The author was Sergey Malyutin.
The Museum actively cooperated with such Russian-style development centers as Abramtsevo, Talashkino, Kudrino and many others. Museum workshops were created in Sergiev Posad.
By the beginning of the 1910s, the Museum led the work on preserving and developing art crafts in all provinces of Russia.
Working days: daily, 09.00 – 18.00.
Address: Leontievsky pereulok, 7, building 1B, Moscow.