The Moscow Mariinsky School is an educational institution of the Ladies’ Guardianship of the Poor in Moscow in the second half of the 19th – early 20th centuries.
The school was founded by Olga Nikolaevna Talyzina, nee Countess Zubova (1803-1882), granddaughter of A. V. Suvorov. The founding date is March 5, 1851. Until 1856, it was called the Khamovniki Educational Institution for Noble Maidens. Then, after merging with the Ermolovsky Women’s School, it became known as the Mariinsky-Ermolovsky, and finally, in 1869, in memory of the widow of Major General Maria Vasilievna Talyzina, nee Princess Golitsyna (1769-1853), who donated 25,000 rubles to the establishment and maintenance of the school.
The school made it possible for the daughters of poor parents to receive a diploma for the title of a home teacher, “in order to acquire a livelihood by their own labor.”
Initially, the school was appointed exclusively for children of privileged classes. At the end of the 19th century, it became all class.
The first issue was made in 1855 and consisted of eight pupils; six of them successfully passed the test for the title of “home teacher” at the University the following year. In 1863, the school was allowed to independently test pupils for the title of “home teacher” with the approval of the authorities of the Moscow Educational District. The number of pupils at the beginning of the 20th century reached 300 people.
In 1860 the school moved to its building on the Sofiyskaya embankment. During Soviet times, the building was in disrepair. Recently it has been renovated, and there are plans to return to the school.
Nearest metro: Borovitskaya, Biblioteka imeni Lenina.