The MBB 223 Flamingo was a light aircraft developed in West Germany in the 1960s in response to a competition for a standard trainer for the country’s aeroclubs. Designed by SIAT, it was a conventional low-wing monoplane with fixed tricycle undercarriage. The cockpit was enclosed by a large bubble canopy. SIAT had not undertaken much production of the type before the firm was acquired by MBB (Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm) in 1970. Eventually, the new owners transferred production to CASA in Spain.
A fully acrobatic, single-seat version, and a four-seat utility version were also developed.
- Crew: 2 (pilot and instructor)
- Capacity: provision for additional folding seat for two children or one adult
- Length: 7.43 m (24 ft 5 in)
- Wingspan: 8.28 m (27 ft 2 in)
- Height: 2.70 m (8 ft 10 in)
- Wing area: 11.50 m2 (123.8 sq ft)
- Airfoil: NACA 642A215
- Empty weight: 685 kg (1,510 lb)
- Max takeoff weight: 1,050 kg (2,315 lb)
- Fuel capacity: 220 L (58 US gal; 48 imp gal)
- Powerplant: 1 × Avco Lycoming IO-360-C1B air-cooled flat-four engine, 150 kW (200 hp)
- Propellers: 2-bladed Hartzell constant-speed, 1.80 m (5 ft 11 in) diameter
- Maximum speed: 243 km/h (151 mph, 131 kn)
- Cruise speed: 216 km/h (134 mph, 117 kn) (75% power)
- Never exceed speed: 380 km/h (240 mph, 210 kn)
- Range: 1,150 km (710 mi, 620 nmi)
- Service ceiling: 3,750 m (12,300 ft)
- Rate of climb: 4.30 m/s (846 ft/min)
Siebel (SIAT) was a German aircraft manufacturer founded in 1937 in Halle an der Saale. It originated in the Klemm-Flugzeugwerke Halle that had been founded in 1934 as a branch of Leichtflugzeugbau Klemm in Böblingen. Its name changed to Siebel Flugzeugwerke when it was taken over by Friedrich Siebel in December 1937.
After World War II the company was revived as Siebel Flugzeugwerke ATG (SIAT) in West Germany in 1948, with its headquarters in Munich. In 1956, its headquarters were moved to Donauwörth and the company became WMD-Siebelwerke ATG (WMD/SIAT) in 1958 in cooperation with Waggon- und Maschinenbau GmbH Donauwörth (WMD). In 1968 the company was absorbed by Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm after MBB became the major shareholder.