M45 Quadmount – meat chopper

The M45 Quadmount (nicknamed the “meat chopper” and “Krautmower” for its high rate of fire) was a weapon mounting consisting of four of the “HB”, or “heavy barrel” 50 caliber M2 Browning machine guns (of the M2 Turret Type (TT) variant mounted in pairs on each side of an open, electrically powered turret. It was developed by the W. L. Maxson Corporation. Introduced in 1943 during World War II, it remained in US service as late as the Vietnam War.

Read more: Transport, aviation and fighting vehicles by Andrew Pantele ...