Kronstadt Naval Cathedral (stauropegial St. Nicholas Naval Cathedral) is the last and largest of the naval cathedrals built in the Russian Empire. Built in 1903-1913 in Kronstadt, designed by architect Vasily Kosyakov.
The parish of the temple belongs to the St. Petersburg diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church, located on the territory of the Kronstadt deanery district.
The stauropegial status of the cathedral indicates its direct subordination to the patriarch. The rector of the cathedral is Archimandrite Alexy (Ganzhin).
Since May 2013, it has been considered the main temple of the Russian Navy and the center of the Military Deanery District of the St. Petersburg diocese.
St. Nicholas Naval Cathedral was built in neo-Byzantine style. In general, the temple repeats the space-planning structure of the Hagia Sophia in Constantinople.
In terms of absolute dimensions, the Kronstadt temple is smaller than its Byzantine prototype.
For comparison: the diameter of the dome of Hagia Sophia is 31 meters, and the diameter of the dome of the Naval Cathedral is 26.7 m; the height of both buildings is respectively 56 and 52 meters; length – respectively 81 and 83 m; width – 72 and 64 m.
Additionally, the side of the domed square in the interior is 24 m; spans of the main arches – 23 m; the height to the base of the main dome is 52 m.
The total height of the Naval Cathedral with the cross is 70.5 m. This is the tallest building in Kronstadt.
Address: Russia, St. Petersburg, Kronstadt, Anchor Square, 1. Working hours: 09:00–19:00