Gülhane Park (Gülhane Parkı) is a historical park located in the Eminönü of Fatih district of Istanbul.

Gülhane Park was the outer garden of Topkapı Palace during the Ottoman Empire and contained a grove and rose gardens.

The Tanzimat Edict, the first concrete step of democratization in Turkish history, was read in Gülhane Park by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mustafa Reşit Pasha, during the reign of Abdulmecid on November 3, 1839.

Therefore, it is also called Gülhane Hatt-ı Hümayunu.

It was organized during the time of Istanbul city manager Cemil Pasha (Topuzlu), turned into a park in 1912, and opened to the public. Its total area is about 163 acres. At the park’s entrance, on the right side, are busts of Istanbul’s mayors.

A road with trees on both sides passes through the middle of the park. Rest areas and children’s playgrounds are on the right and left of this road.

There is a statue of Aşık Veysel just to the right of the slope that winds down towards the Bosphorus, and at the top towards the end of the slope, there is the Goths Column, dating from the Romans.

The Sarayburnu Park section was formerly connected to the main park with a bridge over the Sirkeci Railway line. The coastal road later separated this part from the park (1958).

In the Sarayburnu section, the first statue of Atatürk was erected after the Republic (October 3, 1926). Australian architect Kripel created the statue.

first statue of Atatürk

The Istanbul Museum of the History of Science and Technology in Islam is located in the former stables of Topkapı Palace, on the park’s western edge.

It was opened in May 2008 by the Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan. The museum features 140 replicas of inventions of the 8th to 16th centuries, from astronomy, geography, chemistry, surveying, optics, medicine, architecture, physics and warfare.

Read more: Interesting places in the Pyrenees and around with Jane Cautch ...