The Château de la Gataudière, located in Marennes in Charente-Maritime, was built in 1749 by François Fresneau de la Gataudière.
It is a long building, centred on a central pavilion of three bays adorned with pilasters, with a triangular pediment which overhangs the rest of the house.
The set presents a symmetry of 11 spans with a basement of half-storey rooms, a floor of high windows with the upper part in a semicircle, openings of the second floor in the break in the roof (four on each side) and in the pediment.
On the garden side, a terrace hides the base. The pediment is carved with a “triumph of Flora.”
The castle and the terrace are classified by decree of 3 March 1949.
The Louis XIV park and fountain have been listed as a historic monument since 20 December 1948 and the park of the Château de la Gataudière was included in the pre-inventory of remarkable gardens.
The castle furniture is original: Louis XIII – Regency – Louis XV. The wood panelling and the central stone living room have characteristic eighteenth century décor.
Located 10 minutes from Rochefort.
GPS coordinates: 45° 50′ 05″ N, 1° 06′ 51″ E