Fanjeaux (Occitan: Fanjaus) is a commune in the Aude department in southern France, Pyrenees.
Between 1206 and 1215, Fanjeaux was the home of Saint Dominic, the founder of the Roman Catholic Church’s Dominican Order, who preached to the Cathars in the area.
Tourism and main attractions
- The Dominican cloister, with vestiges from the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries. This building, founded in the 14th century, has no direct link with Saint Dominic;
- The Saint-Dominique Convent of Cammazou: on July 2, 1975, nearly fifty sisters, led by Mother Anne-Marie Simoulin (May 24, 1928 – June 16, 2014), left the Dominican Order and settled in Fanjeaux in order to create the traditionalist congregation of Dominican teachers of the Holy Name of Jesus;
- The Notre-Dame-de-l’Assomption church was built on the former temple of Jupiter in 1278. Its bell tower houses a manual carillon of 10 bells;
- Market halls;
- The Saint-Dominique house (Ostau de Sant Domenge in Occitan);
- The monastery of Prouilhe, one km away, built on the site of the first monastery of nuns founded by Dominic, in 1206;
- Le Seignadou (Lo Senhador in Occitan) offers a magnificent panorama over the Lauragais plain;
- The Fanjeaux cross.
How to get to?
Distances by car:
From Lyon (tolls): 4 hr 14 min (477 km) via A7 and A9
From Marseille (tolls): 3 hr 9 min (342 km) via A9
From Biarritz (tolls): 3 hr 26 min (381 km) via A64
From Nantes (tolls): 5 hr 47 min (662 km) via A10 and A62
From Bordeaux (tolls): 2 hr 58 min (322 km) via A62
From Toulouse (tolls): 57 min (79.5 km) via A61
From Monaco (tolls): 4 hr 49 min (521 km) via A8 and A9
From Andorra (tolls): 2 hr 24 min (150 km) via N20
Area: 25.5 sq. km
GPS coordinates: 43°11′16″N 2°02′04″E
Languages: French, Occitane
Time: Central-European UTC +1