Catherine (Ekaterininsky) Park is a recreational park in Moscow.
Until the 15th century, there was a chain of ponds in the park in the bed of the Naprudnaya River (other names are Samoteka and Sinichka), which flowed into the Neglinnaya downstream in Samotechnaya Square. The development of the territory along the Naprudnaya began in the 16th century. The Exaltation of the Cross Monastery was moved here, and the Church of St. John the Warrior was later built.
In the second half of the 18th century, next to the Church of John the Warrior, the country estate of Count V.S. Saltykov was built. Next to the estate, a vast park was laid out, the central element of which was a large pond along the Naprudnaya. In 1807, the estate was redesigned into the building of the Ekaterininsky Institute for Noble Maidens, and the park at the institute was named Ekaterininsky.
Ekaterininsky Park is part of the Northern Green Ray. It has the status of a natural complex of the city and a monument of landscape art.
The area of Catherine Park is 16 hectares. In the central part of the park, there is a pond with an area of 1.9 hectares, stretching from northwest to southeast, with a small island in the northwestern part. A summer pavilion and a cafe are on the pond’s banks.
The park has two entrances – the western one, from the side of Suvorov Square (near the buildings of the Theater of the Russian Army and the House of the Russian Army) and the eastern one, from the side of Olympiysky Prospekt. From the south, the building of the Saltykov estate – the Catherine Institute adjoins the park. From the northeast – the territory of the Museum of the Russian Army.
Ekaterininsky Park is one of the residents’ favorite places for recreation and walks.
The boat station has reopened in the park.
Nearest metro: Prospekt Mira, Novoslobodskaya.
See also all parks in Moscow