The Church of the Transfiguration on the Sands is an Orthodox church belonging to the Central Deanery of the Moscow City Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church. Located in Moscow between Novy Arbat and Arbat street at the address: Spasopeskovskiy pereulok, house number 4 “A”.
Built in 1711 in the style of Moscow churches of the 17th century. It is an architectural monument of federal significance.
Previously, this place was a wooden streltsy settlement, known since 1642. In 1711, a stone church of the Transfiguration of the Savior on the Sands was built in its place, which has survived to this day. In 1763, at the expense of the titular adviser Mikhail Ivanov, a chapel was built in the southwestern part of the refectory, consecrated in honor of Michael the Archangel (not preserved). During the fire of 1812, the roof was partially burned. But two years later the temple was restored.
The architecture is typical for Moscow churches of the late 17th century. The temple was built according to the traditional longitudinal-axial scheme. The chetverik (main volume) with five domes and the hipped bell tower are connected by a low refectory.
The aisles of the temple are located asymmetrically. The decor elements of the church correspond to the spirit of the 17th century – perspective portals, window architraves, keeled kokoshniks. The Church of the Transfiguration of the Savior plays an important role in the town-planning composition of Spasopeskovskaya Square.
Nearest metro: Smolenskaya metro station (Filyovskaya line), Arbatskaya.