The Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Gonchary is an Orthodox church in the Tagansky district of Moscow. It belongs to the Pokrovsky deanery of the Moscow diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church. It is a courtyard of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church in Moscow.
The main altar was consecrated in honor of the Assumption of the Most Holy Theotokos feast, the chapel – in the name of St. Tikhon of Amaphunt.
In 1654, local potters built a new stone one-altar Assumption Church. In 1702, the Dormition Chapel was rebuilt. On the site of the dismantled porch, a refectory was built with a chapel of Tikhon, Bishop of Amaphunte. Between 1764 and 1774, a three-tiered bell tower was built in the post-Peter baroque style. In the same years, the temple acquired a color that can be seen today.
Tiling master Stepan Polubes took part in the design of the church. At the end of the 17th century, he lived in the Goncharnaya Sloboda, near the temple. Polychrome tiles by Stepan Polubes adorn the chapel and the refectory.
The main shrine of the Assumption Church is the miraculous icon of the Mother of God, “Three Hands.” The icon received its name in memory of the healing of the severed hand of St. John of Damascus by the Most Holy Theotokos.
Address: Goncharnaya street, 29, Moscow. Metro: Taganskaya (ring), Taganskaya (radial), Marksistskaya.