Church of St. Nicholas on Bersenevka (Church of the Life-Giving Trinity) is an Orthodox church in the Yakimanka district of Moscow. It belongs to the Moskvoretsky deanery of the Moscow Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church. It forms an architectural ensemble with the chambers of Averky Kirillov.
The main altar was consecrated in honor of the Holy Trinity, the aisles – in the name of St. Nicholas and Theodosius the Great Cenobiarch.
In the 1650s, the sovereign gardener Averky Kirillov began the construction of the estate on the site of the abolished Nikolsky Monastery. In 1657, by his order, a stone church was built in the name of the Holy Trinity with a chapel in the name of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker.
In architectural terms, this temple belongs to a new type of Moscow church of the middle of the 17th century, founded by the construction of the Trinity Church in Nikitniki. It was built as a pillarless quarter with a bell tower and a refectory adjoining from the north. The temple is richly decorated.
In 1775, a classicist refectory was added to the church from the west, significantly distorting the church’s original appearance.
In the 1970s, the temple’s restoration took place, during which, in particular, the later two-tier four-slope covering was removed, and the former appearance was returned to the tiers of kokoshniks crowning the quadrangle.
Nearest metro: Kropotkinskaya