The castle of Guadamur is a fortification located in the Spanish municipality of Guadamur, in the province of Toledo, Castilla–La Mancha. The castle is located to the east of the town, on the hill of the Hermitage.
On June 18, 1964, it was declared a historical-artistic monument. At present it has the status of Asset of Cultural Interest,
The castle of Guadamur was built in several phases, the first of them around 1470 and the second around 1520. It was built on the orders of the Count of Fuensalida, to strengthen the protection of the area, multiple times besieged: from 1446 to 1521 the place suffered on several occasions fires and looting.
The keep is a 30 m high prism with a base of 10 m by 15 m.
The parade ground and palace has a quadrangular plan, measuring 20 m by 12 m. The four corners are finished off with circular towers. In the middle of each wall there is a prism with a triangular base, a star point, a reinforcement solution that is one of the first of its kind and an antecedent of defensive military architecture of the 18th and 19th centuries. Palace and tower are made of granite masonry with pieces of carved ashlar masonry. The ground floor of the palace (chapel, kitchen, servants’ quarters, etc.) has a vaulted roof; the main floor (rooms and bedrooms) has a lintel structure and has coffered ceilings.
Address: C. Jorge Manrique, 6, 45160 Guadamur, Toledo, Spain
GPS coordinates: 39°48′38″N 4°08′46″W