Cangas (or Cangas de Morrazo) is a city and a municipality in the province of Pontevedra in Galicia, Spain.
Being one of the municipalities with one of the most extensive coasts in Spain, it has a high number of beaches (38 in total), several of which are awarded the blue flag.
The city is a popular part of the Rías Baixas costa of the Atlantic resorts of Spain.
Ex-collegiate church of Santiago de Cangas, dates from the 15th century and was reformed, giving it its current appearance in the 16th century when it was declared a collegiate church by Pope Paul III in 1545. Its façade is Renaissance, according to the project of Jácome Fernández, it is crowned by a flamboyant Gothic basketry that reaches the apse and is complemented by a two-section tower with balustrades dating from the 18th century.
Church of San Cibrán (or Ciprian) in Aldán, the news of its existence dates back to the 16th century, the current building dates from 1866 and is made in neoclassical style. The façade, with a niche with the image of the saint, is crowned by a two-story tower with a double balustrade. In the atrium there is a nineteenth-century mausoleum and the remains of the wall that delimited the domains of the Counts of Aldán.
Church of Coiro dates from the 18th century and was made according to the project of the Novas brothers under the patronage of the Marquis of Santa Cruz de Rivadulla and is a sample of Baroque inspired by the Compostela style. The set is completed by the Rectoral House, which has two shields on its façade.
Monumental complex of Darbo. The church of Santa María is the center of the monumental complex of Darbo. Built between the 17th and 18th centuries, it is a good baroque example in which the balance of the ornamentation is surprising. Next to the temple is the fountain, also baroque and dedicated to the Virgin.
Chapel of the Hospital belonged to the Hospital de Cangas and was built in 1711 under the protection of Gonzalo de Noriega y Araujo. It is a rectangular building with a façade crowned by the belfry that bears two bells and under which, decorating a small triangular pediment, is the Noriega coat of arms and the symbols of the Holy Inquisition.
Rodeira Beach, this is the main beach in Cangas. Its sandy area, with fine white sand, has a length of 900 m and an average width of 40 m. Located in the center of the urban nucleus, it is a totally urban beach with a promenade in its entirety and has all the necessary services and care. It should also be added that this beach is the most frequented in the entire municipality throughout the summer.
Areamilla beach, is the last beach that is supported by Punta Balea, it is located in a small cove that it completely occupies. To your right begins a rocky area that reaches the Liméns cove. It is a beach of fine white sand, with all kinds of services and that usually holds the Blue Flag. As for the beach itself, it has a length of about 200 m and an average width of 20 m, although it has a sandy area between the beach and the promenade that is about 15 m wide. Even though it is semi-urban, its environment is protected as a natural space.
Liméns beach, is the main beach of the Liméns cove and is in the small urban area of this parish. It is 310 m long and 25 wide. It usually has a Blue Flag and has all kinds of services.
Transport and how to get to?
Closest airport to Cangas is Vigo – Peinador Airport (VGO). Distance from Vigo–Peinador Airport to Cangas do Morrazo is 13.5 kilometers.
Distance by car:
From Pontevedra 32 min (35.2 km) via AP-9 and Corredor do Morrazo/AG-46
From Santiago de Compostela 1 hr 5 min (93.6 km) via AP-9
From Madrid 5 hr 47 min (612 km) via A-6 and A-52
Area: 38 sq. km
GPS coordinates: 42°16′40″N 8°47′23″W
Language: Spanish, Galician
Population: 26 582
Time: Central European UTC +1, in summer +2
See here best sea and ocean resorts of France and Spain (223 objects)