Cadillac Eldorado: white version from 1970
Eighth generation (1967–1970)
The Eldorado was radically redesigned for 1967 as a front-wheel drive hardtop coupe, becoming the brand’s first entry to capitalize on the era’s burgeoning personal luxury car market. Promoted as a “personal” Cadillac, it shared the E-body with the second-generation Buick Riviera and the first-generation Oldsmobile Toronado, which had been introduced the previous year.
To enhance its distinctiveness, Cadillac adapted the Toronado’s front-wheel drive unified powerplant package, mating a Cadillac 429 V8 to a Turbo-Hydramatic 425 automatic transmission. Disc brakes were optional, and new standard safety equipment included an energy absorbing steering column and generously padded instrument panel.
The 1967 Eldorado was a great departure from previous generations, which shared styling with Cadillac’s De Ville and Series 62, the exceptions being the rare 1953 model, and the even more rare 1957-60 Eldorado Brougham. The front drive Eldorado’s crisp styling, initiated by GM styling chief Bill Mitchell, was distinctive and unique, more angular than the streamlined Riviera and Toronado. The rear end was inspired by the GM-X Stiletto concept car. This was the only production Cadillac to be equipped with concealed headlights behind vacuum operated doors.
Performance was 0–60 mph (0–97 km/h) in less than nine seconds and a top speed of 120 mph (192 km/h). Roadability and handling were highly praised by contemporary reviews, and sales were excellent despite high list prices. Its sales of 17,930 units, nearly three times the previous Eldorado high, helped give Cadillac its best year ever.
In 1968, the Eldorado received Cadillac’s new 375 hp (280 kW) (SAE gross) Cadillac 472 V8 (7.7 L) V8, and disc brakes became standard. Only slight exterior changes were made to comply with new federal safety legislation. Sales set another record at 24,528, with Eldorados accounting for nearly 11% of all Cadillacs sold.
In 1969, hidden headlamps were eliminated, a halo vinyl roof was available as an option, as was a rim-blow steering wheel – the only year Cadillac offered it.
In 1970, the Eldorado featured the new Cadillac 500 V8 (8.2 L) V8 engine, Cadillac’s largest-ever regular production V8, rated SAE gross 400 hp (298 kW) and 550 lb⋅ft (746 N⋅m), and would remain exclusive to the Eldorado until it became the standard engine in all full size Cadillacs for the 1975-76 model years. A power sunroof was a newly available option for 1970. Styling changes for 1970 included a longer hood, a new grille with ‘8.2 Litre’ notification and new taillamp bezels with thin lenses.