Boulevard Saint-Michel is one of the two major streets in the Latin Quarter of  Paris (France), the other being Boulevard Saint-Germain. It is a tree-lined boulevard which runs south from the Pont Saint-Michel on the Seine and Place Saint-Michel, crosses Boulevard Saint-Germain and continues alongside the Sorbonne and the Jardin du Luxembourg, ending at the Place Camille Jullian just before the Port-Royal RER station and the Avenue de l’Observatoire. It was created by Baron Haussmann to run parallel to Rue Saint-Jacques which marks the historical north-south axis of Paris. It is known colloquially as Boul’Mich’ in French.

The boulevard serves as a boundary between the 5th and 6th arrondissements of Paris; odd-numbered buildings on the eastern side are in the 5th arrondissement and even numbers on the western side are in the 6th. It has a length of 1,380 m (4,530 ft), an average width of 30 m (98 ft) and takes its name from the Pont Saint-Michel.

Main sights

N0. 23b. On the corner with the boulevard Saint-Germain, is the Musée de Cluny (Musée National du Moyen Âge) which is made up of two listed monuments: the Palais des Thermes which are ruins of Roman baths, and the Hôtel de Cluny, a medieval and renaissance residence.

No. 31: Zahari Stoyanov died there on September 2, 1889.

No 34: Gibert Joseph bookstore since 1996.

No. 44: Saint-Louis high school.

No. 60-62: Vendôme hotel, main site of the Paris School of Mines.

No. 63 cornering rue Soufflot: former Capoulade café which saw, on February 10, 1934, the creation of the Nicolas Bourbaki group, made up of mathematicians (commemorative plaque).

No. 64 and 64 bis: buildings belonging to the real estate assets assigned to the Senate.

No. 64: building occupied by the conservation of the Luxembourg Gardens, whose staff provide free courses at the Luxembourg Gardens Horticulture School in the Davioud pavilion (south-west of the garden).

No. 87: Édouard Branly (1844-1940) lived there from 1928 till the death.

No. 91: silent film actress Maryse Dauvray (1891-after 1927), lived there during her marriage in 1918.

No. 93: International student hostel. In 2019, a plaque was placed in tribute to its founder, Grace Whitney Hoff.

No. 95: building from the first half of the 19th century on the ground floor of which the composer César Franck (1822-1890) lived, from 1865 until his death.

No. 101 and 103: Place Louis-Marin, built in 1967 on the median in front of these two buildings and decorated with the Healing Fountain.

See more:

20 arrondissements of Paris

Architecture of Paris

Museums of Paris

Entertainment in Paris

Bridges in Paris

Parks in Paris

Streets and squares in Paris

Shopping in Paris

Transport in Paris

Read more: Interesting places in the Pyrenees and around with Jane Cautch ...