Boulevard Ring, also Ring A, is a continuous sequence of boulevards and squares in the Central Administrative District of Moscow, totaling 9 km. Includes ten boulevards.
The boulevard ring arose on the site of the dismantled walls and towers of the White City. The city grew at the end of the 18th century, and the White city wall lost its defensive significance. It was dismantled in the 1770s – 1780s, and boulevards were laid in its place. The names of many squares between the boulevards, called “gates,” remind of the passing fortress towers in the former city wall.
Tverskoy Boulevard was the first to be laid out in 1796, according to the project of the architect S. Karin, and the ring was formed after 1812.
In 1887, a horse-drawn tram appeared on the Boulevard Ring, which in 1911 was replaced by an electric tram. The ring route closed along the Kremlin embankment.
In 1978, the Boulevard Ring was declared a monument of landscape gardening art.
Gogol Boulevard (750 m), Nikitsky boulevard (530 m), Tverskoy Boulevard (875 m), Strastnoy boulevard (550 m), Petrovsky Boulevard (450 m), Rozhdestvensky boulevard (370 m), Sretensky boulevard (215 m), Chistoprudny Boulevard (822 m), Pokrovsky boulevard (590 m), Yauzsky boulevard (400 m).
Nearest metro stations
- Sokolnicheskaya line: Kropotkinskaya
- Filevskaya line: Arbatskaya
- Tagansko-Krasnopresnenskaya line: Pushkinskaya
- Zamoskvoretskaya line: Tverskaya
- Serpukhovsko-Timiryazevskaya line: Chekhovskaya
- Lublinsko-Dmitrovskaya line: Trubnaya
- Kaluzhsko-Rizhskaya line: Turgenevskaya
- Lublinsko-Dmitrovskaya line: Sretensky Boulevard
- Sokolnicheskaya Line: Chistye Prudy