Boulevard Raspail is a boulevard in the 6th, 7th and 14th arrondissements in Paris (France).

Almost oriented north-south, it connects Boulevard Saint-Germain to Place Denfert-Rochereau by successively crossing the 7th (Saint-Thomas-d’Aquin district), 6th (Notre-Dame-des-Champs district) and 14th arrondissements ( Montparnasse district). It crosses the axes of rue de Sèvres, rue de Rennes and boulevard du Montparnasse.

Its current name was given to it in 1887 in homage to the chemist, doctor and politician François-Vincent Raspail (1794-1878).

Previously called “Boulevard d’Enfer”, the southern section of the current Boulevard Raspail, between Boulevard du Montparnasse and Place Denfert-Rochereau, took this name from the old Barrière d’Enfer which in turn took its name from Rue d’Enfer.

Today, only the Passage d’Enfer, a lane perpendicular to the boulevard, within the 14th arrondissement, evokes the former Enfer district.

Main sights

At n° 48 is an annexe of the Banque de France at the junction of rue de Babylone.

The Lutetia hotel, one of the best-known hotels on the Left Bank , on the corner of rue de Babylone, which welcomed the deportees in 1945, upon their return from the Nazi camps.

At n° 54 is the École des hautes études en sciences sociales (EHESS) (former site of the prison du Cherche-Midi) and at n° 105.

At the crossroads of boulevard Raspail and boulevard du Montparnasse, also known as place Pablo-Picasso, is home of the statue of Honoré de Balzac by Auguste Rodin since 1939.

At n° 101, is the headquarters of the Alliance française, state-funded organisation whose mission is to spread French language and culture internationally; it houses a school targeted at students on linguistic exchanges or foreigners who have moved to Paris.

At n°116–118, at the exit of the Notre-Dame-des-Champs metro station, is the statue of Alfred Dreyfus The statue was commissioned by Jack Lang of French artist “Tim” in 1985, originally meant for the courtyard of the École Militaire where Dreyfus was court martialled in 1895, but was placed instead on the boulevard following the speech of Jacques Chirac in July 2006, to pacify the military.

At n° 261 (14th arddt), is home of the Cartier Foundation since 1994. It is housed in an avant garde building by Jean Nouvel made of glass steel and concrete.

At n° 291, is the head office of Aéroports de Paris.

See more:

20 arrondissements of Paris

Architecture of Paris

Museums of Paris

Entertainment in Paris

Bridges in Paris

Parks in Paris

Streets and squares in Paris

Shopping in Paris

Transport in Paris

Read more: Interesting places in the Pyrenees and around with Jane Cautch ...