Bayezid Mosque (also known as Beyazıt Mosque and Beyazıd Mosque) is located on Beyazıt Square of Istanbul, built by Sultan II Bayezid.

It is a building among the early works of Ottoman classical architecture. It is unknown exactly who the architect was, but there are opinions that it was built by architect Hayrettin, architect Kemaleddin, or Yakupşah bin Sultanşah. It is considered to be the oldest sultan mosque in Istanbul,which preserves its originality. Sultan II Bayezid’s tomb is located in the graveyard of the mosque.

It was the second largest sultan mosque built in the city after the conquest of Istanbul. Fatih Mosque, the first sultan mosque in the city, has lost its originality. According to the inscription written by Sheikh Hamdullah on the entrance gate, it was completed in five years between 1501 and 1506. According to Evliya Çelebi, the sultan led the first prayer on the opening day of the mosque.

The dome was partially rebuilt after an earthquake in 1509, and Mimar Sinan conducted further repairs in 1573–74.

The minarets were burned separately by fires in 1683 and 1754. They were also damaged by a lightning strike in 1743. A document dated October 1754 states that a special type of stone was brought from Karamürsel to repair the mosque. An inscription above the courtyard entrance suggests that repairs were also carried out in 1767 as a result of the earthquake which struck Istanbul in 1766.

Extensive new restoration work was started in August 2012 and took eight years to complete. During the process inappropriate materials used during previous repairs were removed, and damaged materials were either cleaned or replaced. The restoration involved a team of approximately 150 people and cost 49 million Turkish liras (approximately US $7.2 million). The mosque was reopened for worship in 2020.

Architecture

The mosque is oriented along the northwest-southeast axis with a courtyard to the northwest with an area almost equal to that of the mosque itself. The courtyard has monumental entrance portals on three sides and is surrounded by a colonnaded peristyle supported by twenty columns. Two of the columns are made of porphyry, ten are of verd antique, and six are of pink granite. It is roofed with 24 small domes and has a pavement of polychrome marble.

The mosque itself is square measuring approximately 40 metres per side and its dome is approximately 17 metres in diameter. The central dome is supported by two semi-domes along the main axis and two arches running along the secondary axis. The mosque is constructed entirely of cut stone using coloured stones and marbles.

The mosque interior resembles a smaller scale version of the Hagia Sophia. In addition to the central dome, the semi-domes to the east and west form a nave. To the north and south there are side aisles, each with four small domes, which extend the width of the mosque, but which are not divided into galleries. The dome is supported by huge rectangular piers, with smooth pendentives and stalactite decorations.

Address: Beyazıt, Yeniçeriler Cd., 34126 Fatih/İstanbul, Türkiye

Architect: Mimar Hayruddin

Opened: 1506

Architectural style: Ottoman architecture

Burials: Mimar Kemaleddin

Minaret(s): 2
Dome height (outer): 44 metres (144 feet)

Read more: Interesting places in the Pyrenees and around with Jane Cautch ...