Avenue George V is an avenue in the 8th arrondissement in the Champs-Élysées district of Paris (France) 730 meters long and 40 meters wide.

It starts from Place de l’Alma and ends at 99, avenue des Champs-Élysées, and marks the western limit of the “golden triangle”.

Avenue George V is one of the most prestigious addresses in Paris. There are indeed luxury boutiques, but also palaces, restaurants and nightclubs. The most famous of them are the George V Hotel, the capital’s famous Art Deco-style palace, and the Crazy Horse Saloon, one of the most famous Parisian cabarets. The avenue also hosts two embassies: that of China and that of Spain.

This site is served, at its northern end, by Paris metro line (M) (1) at George V station and, at its southern end, by line (M) (9) at Alma – Marceau station.

Main sights

No. 3: Caraman hotel. Inhabited by Maurice de Riquet de Caraman (1845-1931), count then duke of Caraman (1868), general councilor of Seine-et-Oise, married to Marie Arrighi de Casanova de Padua (1849-1929)4, owner of the castle of Courson. The fashion designer Hubert de Givenchy established the headquarters of his house there in 1961.

No. 9: Ganay hotel. Built in 1896-1898 by the architect Ernest Sanson for the Marquis Jean de Ganay and the Marquise née Berthe de Béhague. Today Permanent Assembly of Chambers of Agriculture. Remarkable interior decor.

No. 10: headquarters of the Balenciaga fashion house from 1937 to 1968.

No. 11: Hôtel de Rouvre (also known as Lebaudy). Private mansion built to the plans of the architect A. Coulomb for the industrialist and politician Gustave Lebaudy (1827-1889), then passed to his daughter Geneviève (1860-1936) and his son-in-law Charles Bourlon de Rouvre (1850- 1924). Chinese Embassy until 2017.

No. 12: old house of Mainbocher. The Crazy Horse cabaret is located there.

No. 19: headquarters of the French Grand Touring automobile brand Facel Vega from 1954 to 1964.

No. 23: American Episcopal Church of the Holy Trinity (American Cathedral of Paris). Built in 1881-1884 by the British architect George Edmund Street in the neo-Gothic style. The bell tower was built in 1907.

No. 31: George V hotel. Created in 1928 by André Terrail, restaurateur and owner of the restaurant La Tour d’Argent, opposite his private mansion.

No. 33: Prince of Wales Hotel.

No. 46: Fouquet’s Barrière hotel.

No. 53-55, between the intersection with rue Vernet and that with avenue des Champs-Élysées: side facade of a real estate complex inaugurated in 1931, the main entrance of which is 101 avenue des Champs-Élysées. Since 2005, flagship store of Louis Vuitton.

See more:

20 arrondissements of Paris

Architecture of Paris

Museums of Paris

Entertainment in Paris

Bridges in Paris

Parks in Paris

Streets and squares in Paris

Shopping in Paris

Transport in Paris

Read more: Interesting places in the Pyrenees and around with Jane Cautch ...