Auto Union 1000S from 1959, 981 cc, 55 HP, max. speed 100 km/h
The Auto Union 1000 is a luxury compact front-wheel drive automobile manufactured by Auto Union GmbH between 1958 and 1965. It was the first (and in many markets the last) model branded as an Auto Union by the manufacturer since the 1930s; it replaced the DKW 3=6, although the latter continued in production, until the end of 1959.
The two cars were broadly similar, but the new car had its two-stroke engine enlarged to 981 cc yielding a 10% – 37% (depending on model) power increase.
The Auto Union 1000 was an evolution of the earlier DKW F93 and F94 models of the 3=6 series.
Apart from the enlarged engine, which now provided 44 PS (32 kW; 43 hp) in the base model, the 1000 featured the old four-ring Auto Union badge across the grille along with the Auto Union name above it, in place of the DKW badge that had adorned the nose of the earlier models, as well as a smooth boot (trunk) lid.
For the European market there were three distinct series of the 1000/1000S ; (not including the 1000SP or 1000 engined DKW Munga);
The first series was known as the “model 58” or AU1000/58, which was available as the 1000 Coupe de luxe only with the 44 PS engine. This model was available for 1958/59 only and was released in late 1957.
In addition to the two- and four-door saloons, a “pillarless” Coupe shared the profile of the saloons apart from the absence of any fixed B pillar. A three-door station wagon version was also offered (essentially, an updated DKW F94U), now branded as the 1000 Universal, between 1959 and 1962 (1959/60/61 only for right hand drive). For the new decade, the coupe and four door was renamed Auto Union 1000S.
Engine: 981 cc two-stroke straight-3