Austin-Healey 3000 MkIII: red version
The Austin-Healey 3000 is a British sports car built from 1959 until 1967. It is the best known of the “big Healey” models. The car’s bodywork was made by Jensen Motors and the vehicles were assembled at BMC’s MG Works in Abingdon, alongside the corporation’s MG models.
During its production life, the car changed from an open sports car, albeit with a child-transporting 2+2 option, to a sports convertible. In 1963, 91.5 per cent of all Austin-Healey 3000 cars were exported; mostly to North America. The 3-litre 3000 was a highly successful car, which won its class in many European rallies in its heyday and is still raced in classic car competitions by enthusiasts today.
British Motor Corporation ended manufacture in 1967, filling its place with a car with a new, though similar, engine in a newer monocoque chassis; the MGB variant named the MGC.
The 3000 sports convertible Mark III was announced in February 1964 with power increased from 136 bhp to 150 bhp by a new higher lift camshaft. SU HD8 carburettors replaced HS6 units increasing the choke size from 1.75 to 2 inches, or total area 6.3 sq. inches, increasing by 30.6%. Power-assisted braking became standard instead of optional. The new car’s fascia displayed its speedometer and tachometer directly in front of the driver. Upholstery was now in Ambla vinyl.
The Mark III BJ8 remained in production until the end of 1967 when manufacture of the Austin-Healey 3000 ceased.
In May 1964 the Phase II version of the Mark III was released, which gained ground clearance through a modified rear chassis. In March 1965 the car received separate indicator lights.
17,712 Mark IIIs were manufactured.