Aubiry castle (fr. Château d’Aubiry) is an eclectic Neo-Baroque castle built in Céret (in the Eastern Pyrenees) at the end of the 19th century. Chateau d’Aubiry is located near Saint-Jean-Pla-de-Corts and one can see it to the right of the D115 road leading from Saint-Jean-Pla-de-Cortes in the direction of Ceret. Cote Vermeille’s sandy beaches are not far from the castle.
Perpignan is the nearest largest French city in the vicinity.
The industrialist, Pierre Bardou-Job, decided to build a castle to give it to Justin, one of his three sons. He wanted to build a castle for each son.
The industrialist who had grown rich from paper trading ordered a project from the Danish architect Viggo Dorph-Petersen. However, Pierre Bardou-Job never saw it; he died in 1892 shortly before the start of the construction. However, they built the castle. The construction was completed in 1904.
The castle, as well as its chapel, is a historical monument according to the decree of January 19th, 2006.
In addition to the chapel, the castle houses a gardener’s house, English gardens and greenhouses, a park and a large avenue. There are wineries just beyond the fence which are part of the castle’s territory.
The land area is about five hectares. The castle’s living area is 2500 square meters. The castle’s interior is decorated in an art nouveau style. The castle offers magnificent panoramic views to the south.
They put the castle up for sale for 21 million euros a few years ago.
Coordinates: 42°30′46.5″N 2°45′58″E