Tram “A” (“Annushka”)

Tram “A” (“Annushka”) is a Moscow tram route launched in 1911. From July 19, 2020, traffic runs from Novokonnaya Square to the Chistye Prudy metro station. The route passes by the metro stations “Proletarskaya”, “Krestyanskaya Zastava”, “Paveletskaya” (radial), “Paveletskaya” (circular), “Tretyakovskaya”, “Novokuznetskaya”.

Initially, route “A” appeared in Moscow in 1911 and was a circular route. Its main route was the Boulevard Ring, to which it owes its name (the second name for the Boulevard Ring is “Ring A”). The ring was closed along Prechistenskaya, Kremlin and Moskvoretskaya embankments, as well as along Soimonovsky and Ustinsky passages. At the same time, an electric tram traveled along most of the route for the first time—previously, a horse-drawn tram ran along these streets.

The route was first slightly changed in 1931 – it was moved from Soimonovsky Proezd and Prechistenskaya Embankment to Volkhonka and Lenivka streets. In 1934, the route was closed for a short time (it ran along the Zatsepskaya Square – Kropotkin Gate highway), then a year later it was restored again. In 1936, due to the dismantling of tracks on the Kremlin and Moskvoretskaya embankments, the southern part of the route was moved to the other bank of the Moscow River – to Serafimovich, Bolotnaya and Osipenko (now Sadovnicheskaya) streets. At the same time, tram tracks were removed from Yauzsky Boulevard and Ustinsky Proezd, which had too much of a slope, and moved to Solyanka, Razin Street (now Varvarka) and neighboring lanes.

In 1937, the tracks on Bolotnaya Street were also dismantled, and “Annushka” returned to the open route Zatsepskaya Square – Kropotkin Gate. Since then the route has never been a circular route. In 1938, the route returned to Ustinsky Proezd, but still went around Yauzsky Boulevard along parallel streets. To Zatsepskaya Square the route ran along Osipenko Street, Balchug Street, Pyatnitskaya and Novokuznetskaya Streets. In 1939, from the Kropotkin Gate the route was extended along Kropotkinskaya (now Prechistenka), Zubovskaya and Bolshaya Pirogovskaya streets to Clinical Square (located at the intersection of Elansky, Plyushchikha and Pogodinskaya streets and 2nd Truzhenikov Lane). In 1943, the route was shortened for a short time to Kropotkinskaya, then it was restored along the previous route, and in 1948 it was extended to the final “10th Anniversary of October Street” along Malaya Pirogovskaya Street.

A year later, the tracks on the western side of the Boulevard Ring were removed, and the route was moved to Chekhov Street (now Malaya Dmitrovka Street), 3rd Tverskaya-Yamskaya, Bolshaya Gruzinskaya, Krasnaya Presnya and Shmitovsky Proezd. The route “Zatsepskaya Square – Shmitovsky Proezd” existed with minor changes to the route until 1967. In 1955, the route returned to Yauzsky Boulevard, and in 1963 it was moved to a new direct route from the Novokuznetskaya metro station to the Bolshoi Ustinsky Bridge across Sadovnichesky Proezd.

Due to the closure of the line along Bolshaya Gruzinskaya and Zamorenova streets in 1967, the route was sharply shortened to Trubnaya Square, thus its northern part again ran entirely along the Boulevard Ring.

In 1971, in connection with the dismantling of the line along Rozhdestvensky and Sretensky boulevards (to this day there is no public transport traffic along them due to large slopes), the route was further shortened – to the metro station “Chistye Prudy” (at that time “Kirovskaya”).

In 1997, the route was launched along the highway from Kaluzhskaya Square to the Chistye Prudy metro station. A restaurant on wheels has also appeared, which is released in 1-2 cars a day, where passengers can taste Russian cuisine.

In 2013, the route was canceled due to repairs to the line inside the Garden Ring, but on December 8, 2013, “Annushka” was launched along the temporary route “Proletarskaya metro station – Chistye Prudy metro station.” After the completion of the repair of the line along Dubininskaya Street, on January 12, 2014, the route returned to its route to Kaluzhskaya Square, and the switch at the Paveletsky Station from the center towards Kozhevnicheskaya Street was dismantled.

Since 2019, the route has operated according to a temporary scheme: from Cheryomushki along Bolshaya Cheryomushkinskaya Street, Zagorodnoye Shosse to Serpukhovsky Val, then to the Chistye Prudy metro station. On July 19, 2020, after the opening of the line along Kozhevnicheskaya Street, the route was permanently redirected to Novokonnaya Square and transferred to the Oktyabrskoye tram depot. For this purpose, the turn on Paveletskaya Square, paved in 2014, was restored in the spring of 2020.

Current route status

The route is served by the Oktyabrsky tram depot. The line operates modern low-floor Vityaz-M and KTM-23 trams.

Read more: History of railways with Alex Meltos ...