152 mm M1943 (D-1): Soviet field howitzer

The D-1 howitzer M1943 is a Soviet World War II 152.4 mm howitzer. The gun was developed by the engineer bureau headed by F. F. Petrov in 1942 and 1943, based on the carriage of the 122 mm howitzer M1938 (M-30) and using the barrel of the 152 mm howitzer M1938 (M-10). The powerful and mobile D-1, with its wide range of ammunition, significantly increased the firepower and breakthrough abilities of Red Army tank and motor rifle formations. Several hundred D-1s were manufactured before the end of World War II.

Post World War II, the D-1 saw combat in numerous conflicts during the mid- to late 20th century. The long operational history of D-1 howitzers in national armies of numerous countries is a testimony to its qualities; the gun still remains in service in a number of post-Soviet states and some other countries. The D-1 is widely considered a valuable element of Soviet artillery.

Chief engineer: F. F. Petrov

Manufacturer: Uralmash (USSR)

Years of production: 1943-1949

Crew: 8 persons

Rate of fire: 4 rounds/min

Muzzle velocity: 508 m/s

Firing range: 12 km

Weight: 3600 kg

Artillery Museum (Petrograd District, St. Petersburg)

Read more: Artillery, missiles and rockets with James Moore ...