105 mm M56 A1: Yugoslavian howitzer
The gun’s design is based on the M101 and leFH 18. The gun’s initial model was the SH-1, designed by the Military Technical Institute Belgrade, Yugoslavia, in 1951.
It was produced by Crvena Zastava in Kragujevac, now Zastava Arms. Second prototype, also developed by Military Technical Institute Belgrade, in 1955 designated as SH-2 was basis for serial M-56. Serial production started in 1956 Bratstvo Novi Travnik because prior to that in 1945 decision was made by communist government of Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia to move factories from Serbia to other parts of newly formed Yugoslavia in order to develop their industries.
Because of that decision in 1951 Zastava Arms factory, then called Crvena Zastava, was partially dissembled (including complete Crvena Zastava factory artillery program with calibers over 20 mm) and together with 250 experts was transferred to Bosnia into new Bratstvo Novi Travnik factory from then Socialist Republic of Serbia to Socialist Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina to help in Bosnia development at cost of Serbia who in that time was heavy industrialized and had educated technical staff.
The original production version was 28 caliber with a maximum range of 13 km.